Work experience and work placements for law students
J K Advice Centre can help you gain the necessary experience and practical skills you will require when looking to work in an Advice environment or working to support clients to and from appointments as an outreach worker to practically help others.
J K Advice Centre, is an independent private advice centre that offers university students the opportunity to apply for a work placement or for work experience. Law students newly qualified lawyers are welcome to put theory into practice to gain or share work skills in the advice setting with us. You may also wish to offer your time while looking for suitable employment elsewhere to keep yourself occupied.
Work Placement/Experience Roles
Commitment: Minimum from one morning a week to suitable days per week or from 1 to 5 days a week depending on your availability, we are flexible.
Restrictions: London residents will be given preference, but all applications are welcome and will be considered as long as you are willing.
Recruitment timetable: Positions are advertised throughout the year. Our paid jobs/positions are found on AdviceUK jobs website and Jobs in Advice.
Task description: To work alongside a supervisor, project worker or manager and undertake all tasks which supports the role, e.g. note taking on client’s interviews, answering telephone sending and receiving new enquiries/written correspondence, research and office administration duties. Also, to help the organisation run smoothly on a daily basis.
Trainee Adviser Role
Commitment: Minimum 2 full days per week or 4 mornings a week.
Recruitment Timetable: Intakes every 6 months.
General duties: Initial six training sessions for the Telephone Gateway Assessor role (a triage service). Volunteers in this role will learn what the client issue is and then give the necessary information, signpost elsewhere, book an appointment or pass issue to a qualified adviser. At this stage they cannot give advice. Once trained and certified in this role which is approximately 25 weeks, they will have the opportunity of training for the adviser role which is another 25-week period or more depending on the course provider.
Experience and strong research, analytical and IT skills are preferred. Most of our in-centre systems provide information in Microsoft Excel.
JK Advice Centre is looking to recruit an individual that is enthusiastic and dedicated to help our team in providing advice to help local citizens and must be willing to support other members of staff or those on a work placement.
The candidate fitting this role will need to be an experienced generalist adviser and be capable of offering advice or pass information both face to face and over the phone to the general public during opening hours.
- Giving advice
- Interviewing skills; sensitive questioning and listening skills allowing clients to explain their details fully while empowering them to set out their own priorities.
- Use of the AdvicePro software to communicate, interpret and find all relevant information.
- Help clients make informed decisions by conducting the necessary research and exploring all options and implications.
- Act for the client where necessary by drafting or writing letters, negotiating, calculating and telephoning.
- Negotiate with all third parties. These will include statutory and non-statutory bodies.
- Interact internally or with other specialist agencies when required.
- Make sure all work integrates with the company office manual and Advice Quality Standard and all other requirements.
- Ensure that all work supports and reflects JK Advice Centre diversity and equality standards.
- Maintain all case records in terms of the continuity of casework, report preparation, statistical monitoring and information retrieval.
Research and Campaigns
Help with campaigns and research work while taking into an account the clients’ circumstances, through the appropriate channel.
Help clients become aware of all research and campaign options available.
- Undertake the appropriate training in order to keep up to date with all policies, procedures and legislation.
- Read all relevant publications.
- As agreed with the line manager, attend all relevant internal and external meetings.
- Prepare for and attend team meetings, staff meetings and supervision sessions as required.
- Competent use of IT for statistical recording of information in relation to campaigns and funding requirements, document production and record keeping. Ensure that annual IT information assurance training is completed.
- Ensure that all work coordinates with the centre’s systems and procedures.
- Produce statistical information on the nature of cases and number of clients.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Complete all required training to be in compliance with quality assurance processes.
- Conduct all other tasks which are within the scope of the post and ensure effective delivery and development of the service.
- Demonstrate commitment to the policies and aims of J K Advice Centre.
- Ensure all health and safety guidelines are adhered to and take responsibility for own safety and that of colleagues.
- Ability to commit to and work within the parameters of the policies, principles and aims of Brighter Link Ltd Independent Advice Centre.
- An up-to-date full understanding of equality and diversity with the knowledge of how to apply to the provision of advice.
- The ability to give and take feedback sensitively and objectively combined with a willingness to challenge constructively.
- The ability to maintain and monitor own standards.
- Competent oral and written communication skills in particular on negotiating.
- Interviewing skills using sensitivity and a good listening ear. Need to be able to get to the root of the issue whilst empowering clients and keeping structure and control of the meeting.
- A full understanding of issues affecting society and their implications on clients.
- Competent use of IT packages and systems and all electronic resources needed to provide record keeping, advice and document production.
- The willingness and ability to work as part of a team.
- A willingness to improve skills and knowledge in advice topics and an overall commitment to continuous professional development.
- The ability to analyse, interpret and research complex information while presenting clear reports both in writing and verbally.
- Full understanding of statistics and accuracy of calculations.
The role will involve supporting our advisers with general casework. This will ensure that we can provide the best service to our clients. The role will suit somebody with strong attention to detail whilst seeking experience in casework management.
Responsibilities will include:
- The setup of paper files
- Meeting and greeting all new clients, helping them with the completion of forms
- Inputting clients information into our central database
- Writing letters on behalf of our clients on their specific cases
- Calling clients to gather details of their case
- General admin work, photocopying
All tasks are supervised by a qualified adviser and ongoing support and training is provided where required to ensure personal and professional development.
What Qualifications and Skills Do You Need?
Full command of the English language (both verbal and written)
Strong attention to detail
Positive and proactive temperament
Advice work or any legal, social work qualification is desirable but not essential
What J K Advice Centre Offers in Return
- A friendly and professional team and a rewarding work environment
- Work flexibility
- Supervision by qualified advisers
- Training and support
We require a minimum commitment of two days per week for at least three months. Working days and hours can be mutually agreed, though normal attendance will be between the hours of 10:00 am to 18:00 pm Monday to Friday, Saturday 10:00 am to 14:00 pm. We operate an equal opportunities policy to which both salaried workers and work experience workers are required to adhere to.